THE CHUGACH RANGE
Valdez, Alaska – 6 days
Valdez has some of the most amazing splitboard mountaineering terrain in North America. Join us this spring for long days filled with thousands of feet of dry powder, wide open glaciers, fluted spines and steep couloirs deep in the heart of the Chugach Range of Alaska. Tour into one of the most accessible glaciated splitboard mountaineering ranges in the world. Includes a combo of splitboard touring & mountaineering. This is a trip of a lifetime for any splitboard mountaineer.
In six days of splitboard mountaineering we can get an amazing amount of great shredding in. We also plan one overnight mission to fine tune our craft of winter camping. The combination of splitboard touring and mountaineering makes for a great big-mountain splitboard adventure. Nights are spent in the comfort of a local lodge eating great food.
We base out of the port town of Valdez, Alaska, and most of our tours are out of the famous Thompson Pass area not far from town. Thompson Pass is unique in that is one of the only areas in North America that offers roadside access to big glaciated terrain.
Another great feature of this trip is that even in poor weather, we still may have good skiing options…No sitting around in town waiting for the skies to clear. This trip includes a certified splitboard mountaineering guide, along with a detailed snow safety and transciever briefing.
We will also include some splitboard mountaineering instruction
- Riding Couloirs & Steep Lines
- Crampon and Ice ax techniques
- Snow Anchors & Rappelling
- Crevasse Rescue on Splitboards
- Glacial Navigation & Route Planning
LOCATION: Valdez, Alaska – The legendary Chugach Range
PREREQUISITES: Advanced snowboarders with some previous backcountry splitboarding experience
- Ground transportation in Valdez
- Lodging in Valdez
- Breakfast provided, dinner not included while in town *(all meals provided while in mountains)
- 6 days of splitboard guiding and instruction by AMGA certified local guides
- avalanche rescue gear/airbags
- Gear for overnight trips (tents, stoves, cookware, etc…)
DATES: TBA 2018
COST: $2195 pp
Maximum guiding ratio of 4:1 and needs a minimum of 2 to run on these dates with these prices.